Suspected Canadian Terrorist Shouted Allahu Akbar Before Stabbing Flint Airport Officer

From NY-Daily:
A suspected Canadian-born terrorist yelled "Allahu Akbar" before stabbing a Michigan airport police officer in the neck, according to authorities.

Amor Ftouhi made his way into the United States last week before arriving at Flint's Bishop International Airport and attacking Lt. Jeff Neville Wednesday morning.

Neville, was in "satisfactory" condition and resting as of Wednesday afternoon, airport police said at an airport press conference.

FBI Special Agent in Charge David Gelios said that 49-year-old Fthoui dropped two bags in a bathroom before coming out with an eight-inch blade, shouting the Arabic phrase for "God is great," and stabbing the officer.

Gelios added that Ftouhi continued to yell during the attack and said, "you have killed people in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan and we are all going to die."

"Suffice it to say he has a hatred for the United States, as well as other things," the agent added.

The federal complaint against Ftouhi released Wednesday evening said that the attacker asked Neville why he did not kill him.

A witness told the Flint Journal he was dropping off his daughter at Bishop International Airport when he saw Neville "on his hands and knees bleeding from his neck."

The suspect reportedly had a husky build and a "blank" look on his face.

Airport Public Safety Director Christopher Miller said that Neville and other nearby airport workers helped subdue Ftouhi and take him into custody after the attack.

It was not immediately clear why Ftouhi went to Flint, an industrial city that in recent years has made national news for its lead-tainted water crisis.

The suspect, whose Montreal apartment was being searched by Royal Canadian Mounted Police Monday evening, entered the U.S. on June 16 through nearby Champlain, the FBI said.

Ftouhi, whose knife was allegedly an "Amazon Jungle Survival Knife" is not believed to have been involved with other known extremists, and authorities said Wednesday afternoon that they had no information about any larger plot.

He will face federal charges of violence at an international airport, which carries up to 20 years in prison on conviction.

The airport was closed for hours after the outburst of violence, though said at 5 p.m. that is had returned to normal operations.

President Trump was briefed on the attack, according to the White House.

0 comments. Leave a comment below.:

Post a Comment

Spam and abuse will not be published. You can use some HTML tags in your comments.

Thank you for reading and commenting.