Service Station Worker And Student Stabbed To Death

From Daily-Mail:
Counter terrorism police are questioning two 'radicalised' teenage boys after they allegedly stabbed a service station worker to death and wrote 'IS' in blood on the front window at a Caltex in Queanbeyan, near Canberra.

The victim of the deadly service station stabbing has been identified as Pakistani national and student Zeeshan Akbar, 29.

The Joint Counter Terrorism Team have been brought in to investigate the attack on the student, who was found bleeding to death by his co-worker at the Queanbeyan service station just before midnight on Thursday.

The two boys, 15 and 16, were allegedly involved in a crime spree leading up to the fatal attack - bashing a man with a tyre iron during a break-and-enter, before attacking another with a beer bottle in a Queanbeyan park.

The pair also allegedly stabbed a second man in a Queanbeyan street about 6.20am on Friday before fleeing in a silver Ford Falcon.

Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn said in Sydney that it appeared the boys' 'modus operandi' suggested the stabbing was 'indicative of a terrorist attack'.

'Certainly there was physical evidence at the scene which does go to our view that this might be an act of terrorism.

Caltex Service station worker Zeeshan Akbar had moved to Canberra at the end of 2016 for a state nominated visa.

'He was close to his permanent residence,' one of his close friends Nabeel Akhtar told Daily Mail Australia.

'But God had other plans.'

Another friend Fahd Zahoor described the service station worker, who had just completed an Advance Diploma in Automotive Industry, as 'an incredibly kind-hearted person and very down to earth'.

Mr Akbar was a Muslim, a club member of Haig Fawkner Cricket Club and was also 'responsible for his family's financial needs'.

He was the oldest son, with two younger brothers and an elderly father, aged in his 70s, who lives in Karachi, Pakistan.

His cousin Ifran Khan told Daily Mail Australia he was heading straight from Melbourne to Canberra following the attack, and expected to be in the nation's capital on Friday night.

Reports say police are investigating whether the attack was inspired by Islamic State, and it's reported the letters 'IS' were written in blood on the service store's window, according to
Sydney Morning Herald.

The pair were reportedly 'radicalised' before the alleged attack, with the 16-year-old boy allegedly making worrying terrorism-related Facebook posts in recent weeks.

Both of the boys are known to police for a range of other types of offences, but the 16-year-old alleged attacked is currently the main focus of inquiries according to Deputy Commissioner Catherine Burn.

It's alleged the duo went into the service station at 11.45pm on Thursday, where a struggle ensued with the attendant who received a number of stab wounds, they then smashed windows to make their escape.

The teenagers allegedly fled the scene with the cash register and other goods from the store.

'It doesn't need to be said, but it doesn't get more serious than this,' Monaro Police Superintendent Rod Smith said.

'It's an absolutely horrific series of events, and we'd just like to reassure everybody that there are two people that we believe are involved, and both of those people are currently in custody.'

'We received another report of another stabbing in Stornaway Road, Queanbeyan where a man was stabbed in the abdomen,' police said on Friday morning.

'He is currently in a serious but stable condition at the Canberra Hospital.'

Ms Burn said the motivation behind the rampage was unknown.

'All we know again is that there are very, very serious crimes and we've got all the resources that we can possibly put into this.'

'This investigation is in its infancy. We are also looking at number of other incidents involving an attempted robbery at a bottle shop in the ACT, an attack on a homeless man in Queanbeyan, an assault at a unit in Queanbeyan and later an attack where a man was stabbed and his vehicle stolen.

The pair had not come to the attention of counter-terrorism police before, she said.

Shortly after the incident, police attempted to pull over a silver Ford Falcon Sedan, which led to a police chase, which crossed state lines from NSW to the Australian Capital Territory.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull sent his condolences to the family of the victim, adding that he had spoken to AFP commissioner Andrew Colvin and the circumstances of the incident merited the involvement of the JCTT.

'The police will have more to say about it but the involvement in this crime of two males, two youths is shocking,' he told media in Sydney, while addressing the situation on the US missile strikes on Syria.

The teenagers were taken to the ACT watch house after their arrest, with NSW Police seeking to extradite them to NSW.

The service station remains a crime scene.

0 comments. Leave a comment below.:

Post a Comment

Spam and abuse will not be published. You can use some HTML tags in your comments.

Thank you for reading and commenting.