In the attacks that occurred on Saturday, March 18 evening, three suicide bombers and four others, including two children were killed in the attacks.
Eight other people sustained injuries and were taken to the hospital.
These were confirmed in a statement by deputy superintendent of police Victor Isuku, the spokesman of the Nigerian Police Force, Borno State Command.
Isuku said the attack happened at about 9pm on Saturday on the outskirts of Maiduguri.
The statement read: “At about 2100hrs of 18/3/2917, three suicide bombers, a male and two female, attempted to infiltrate Maiduguri town through Umarari village in Molai general area.
“They were sighted by Civilian JTF and challenged. They detonated the IEDs strapped to their bodies while running to different directions.
“Four people which include a Civilian JTF, a woman and her two children died while eight others sustained injuries, and have been taken to hospital.”
PRNigeria quotes the spokesperson of National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in the North-East Abdulkadir Ibrahim as saying disclosed that bodies of the dead and the injured had been evacuated.
Abdulkadir said: “The casualties were evacuated to Borno State specialist hospital by the NEMA ERT and SEMA. The remains of the three suicide bombers were also deposited at the mortuary of the hospital.”
The Cable reports that the last attack on Ummarari village, which is about 5km south of Maiduguri and has less than 200 residents, was in June 2016 when two female suicide bombers killed 22 people while observing early morning prayers.