From The Telegraph:
The dead soldier, a member of 28 Engineer Regiment, attached to 21 Engineer Regiment, was part of a team preparing Nato bases to be handed to Afghan forces.
Six British soldiers were also wounded in the attack, which began with an argument among Afghan troops. Their injuries are not thought to be life threatening.
Afghan officials said the man responsible was a soldier, nicknamed Shiekh, from the east of the country, who often led prayers.
The killing is the latest in a string of insider attacks that threatens to undermine the transition from international forces to local troops due to be completed by the end of 2014.
Major Laurence Roche, a spokesman for Task Force Helmand, said the soldier was killed at Patrol Base Hazrat in the Nahr-e Saraj area.
“This is an extremely sad day for the Corps of Royal Engineers and everyone serving with Task Force Helmand,” he said. “Our thoughts are with the soldier’s family and friends at this time.”
All six British deaths during the current six-month tour of duty in Helmand have come from insider attacks.
Downing Street insisted measures had been taken to step up protection of troops – including stronger vetting of recruits to Afghan security forces.
“These are clearly very, very serious incidents,” the Prime Minister’s official spokesman said. “The military always keep force protection measures under review.”
The attack on Monday evening came as Hamid Karzai, the Afghan president, flew to Washington for talks with President Barack Obama to plan for the long-term security of the country as international forces leave next year.
Mr Obama is considering how many troops to leave behind when combat forces cease operations at the end of 2014.
3,800 British troops are scheduled to leave the country in December, with the remaining 5,200 troops at the end of the following year.
The past year has seen a surge in so-called “green on blue” attacks leading to the deaths of more than 60 international troops, and raising questions about whether a strategy of training local forces to take on responsibility for security can be successful.
A spokesman for the Taliban claimed it was responsible for the latest attack. However, a local official said the incident began with an argument between the gunman and other Afghan soldiers, which ran out of control and ended with shots fired indiscriminately at Afghan and British troops nearby.
A member of the Afghan National Army in Helmand said the attacker — shot dead after opening fire – was from Laghman Province and had joined the Afghan army a year ago.
“He was well-known as being religious and would lead prayers, acting as an imam,” said the soldier, speaking on condition of anonymity.